A smoking cauldron of punch made with grapes and orange peel masquerading as eyeballs and worms.
Eerie Witch's Brew
- 4 cups cranberry juice cocktail, divided use
1 cup chopped candied ginger
3 medium oranges
1 (12-ounce) container frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1 (6-ounce) container frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
2 cups seedless grapes
4 cups water
2 (32-ounce) bottles ginger ale
1 to 2 pounds dry ice (CAUTION: never touch dry ice; use tongs to handle)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring 1 cup of cranberry juice and candied ginger to a boil over high heat. Boil, uncovered, about 2 minutes, set aside.
- With a vegetable peeler, pare peel (colored part only) from oranges; cut peel into thin 2-inch-long worms; or use an Oriental shredder to make long shreds.
- Add orange peel to cranberry/ginger mixture. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or as long as overnight.
- Juice oranges; put juice in a 6 to 8 quart pan or heavy bowl. Stir in cranberry/ginger mixture, the remaining 3 cups cranberry juice, apple concentrate, limeade, grapes and water. If made ahead, cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- Add ginger ale and about a 1 pound piece of dry ice (DO NOT put small pieces of dry ice in punch or cups); ice should smolder at least 30 minutes. Ladle into cups. Add any remaining ice when bubbling ceases.
Makes 5 quarts; allow about 1 1/2 cups per serving.