These Halloween treats are as much fun to make as they are to eat. Source: Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2-ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
Decorating Icing (recipe follows)
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined.
- Beat in the egg, melted chocolate, and vanilla.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour and the chocolate pieces.
- Shape dough into two 12-inch-long-rolls. Wrap rolls in waxed paper; chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies in a 375 degree F oven about 7 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Spoon Decorating Icing into a decorating bag fitted with a writing tip or fluted tip. Pipe icing into various size spiders or other Halloween shapes on cookies. Let cookies stand until icing is set.
Makes 90 cookies.
Nutrition facts per cookie: 34 calories, 2 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein.
- 3 to 5 tablespoons milk
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
Few drops food coloring (if desired)
- Combine 3 cups sifted powdered sugar and enough milk (about 3 to 5 tablespoons) to make of piping consistency. If desired, stir in a few drops food coloring.
Makes about 1 cup icing, enough to decorate 5 dozen cookies.
Nutritional facts per serving: calories: 20, total fat: 0g, saturated fat: 0g, cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 0mg, carbohydrate: 5g, fiber: 0g, protein: 0g, vitamin A: 0%, vitamin C: 0%, calcium: 0%, iron: 0%
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Copyright 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.