Witching Hour Cut-Outs
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 cup LAND O LAKES ® Butter, softened*
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup LAND O LAKES ® Butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
Food color, if desired
- Combine butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add milk, vanilla and egg; mix well. Reduce speed to low; add flour, cocoa, melted chocolate, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/4 to 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cut out center of half of cookies with Halloween-shaped 1-inch cookie cutter.
- Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in small bowl. Beat at low speed, gradually adding milk and scraping bowl often, until desired spreading consistency. Add food color, if desired. Spread 2 teaspoons frosting on each bottom cookie; top with cut-out cookie.
Makes 3 dozen sandwich cookies.
*Substitute LAND O LAKES ® Soft Baking Butter with Canola Oil right from the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (1 sandwich cookie):
Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Sodium: 85 mg
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Dietary Fiber: <1 g
Protein: 2 g
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Land O Lakes, Inc.