"These delectable little witch hats are chocolaty and filled with creamy almond paste. Perfect for kids, or for a grownup ghoul party." - Submitted by by Jillian Penge of Gurnee, Illinois.
Chocolate Almond Witch Hats
- 1 1/3 cups butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided use
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Almond Filling:
8 ounces marzipan
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C).
- In a large bowl, beat butter until soft. Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour, then add 1 1/2 cups sugar, unsweetened baking cocoa, 2 eggs, baking powder, and salt. Beat until thoroughly mixed then stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups flour. Divide the dough in half, cover and chill for about 3 hours.
- Roll the dough to about 1/4-inch thick then cut into 2 1/2-inch circles. Spoon almond filling into the center of each round. Shape by lifting the edges toward the center in thirds. Then pinch the three outer points together.
- Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are firm.
- For the Almond Filling: In a small bowl, beat together marzipan, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon flour.
Makes 12 servings.