3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 an 18-oz roll refrigerated sugar-cookie dough
12 miniature peanut butter cups (Reese’s)
Red liquid food color
1 tube (.75 oz) blue writing gel (optional)
1. Have a large baking sheet ready.
2. Knead flour into dough until well blended. Remove 1/4 tsp dough,
roll into 12 tiny balls (for pupils); reserve. Roll remaining dough
into an even 12-in. log. Cut in twelve 1-in. pieces. Place pieces
cut side up. Insert your thumb in center of each and make an
indentation large enough to hold a peanut butter cup; insert cup.
3. Roll dough between palms of your hands to rise up and around
sides of cup. Put a pupil in center of cup. Place 2 in. apart on
ungreased baking sheet.
4. Put a few drops red food color into a small cup. Dip in end of
toothpick; draw veins from center to edge of each cookie.
Refrigerate 15 minutes to firm dough.
5. Meanwhile heat oven to 350°F.
6. Bake cookies 12 min or until pale golden around edges. Remove to
a wire rack to cool. If desired, pipe blue gel around pupils of some
of the cookies.