This Southwestern-flavored stew is topped with a bat-shaped pastry cut-out.
Transylvania Pork Stew
- Stew Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES ® Butter
1 1/4 pounds lean pork stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, sliced
2 cups baby-cut carrots
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with chile peppers, undrained
- Pastry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup LAND O LAKES ® Butter
2 ounces (1/2 cup) LAND O LAKES ® Cheddar Cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons cold water
Chili powder, if desired
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add pork and onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned (4 to 5 minutes). Place in slow cooker.
- Add carrots and corn to slow cooker. Sprinkle chili powder, cumin and garlic powder over ingredients. Add diced tomatoes; stir until combined. Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 7 to 9 hours, or on High heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or until pork is fork tender.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour and cheese in large bowl; cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water with fork just until flour is moistened. Shape into ball; flatten slightly.
- Roll out ball of dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch circle. Cut out shapes using 4 to 5-inch bat cookie cutter. Sprinkle with chili powder, if desired. Place onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To serve, spoon stew into individual serving bowls; top with pastry bat.
Makes 6 (1-cup) servings.
TIP: Look for stew meat at the meat department of your grocery store. Its often pieces of meat that have been trimmed away when cutting pork roasts or chops or cut-up pork sirloin. The tougher pieces of pork tenderize when cooked slowly in liquid such as in a stew.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving):
Fat: 32 g
Cholesterol: 105 mg
Sodium: 700 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 25 g
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of Land O Lakes, Inc.