Harvest Acorn Squash
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
4 teaspoons packed brown sugar, divided use
1 cup Jet-Puffed Miniature Marshmallows, divided use
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place squash halves in microwavable dish; cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH 12 to 14 minutes or until tender, turning after 6 minutes. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Scoop squash from shells, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells.
- Mash squash with margarine; spoon into shells.
- Place on baking sheet; top each squash half with 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the marshmallows.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until squash is heated through and marshmallows are lightly browned.
Makes 4 servings.
Use Your Oven:
To cook the squash in the oven instead of the microwave, place unfilled squash halves, cut sides down, in 13 x 9-inch baking pan filled with 1/2-inch water. Bake at 375°F for 40 to 50 minutes or until squash is tender. Scoop squash from the shells and continue as directed.
Best of Season:
Acorn squash are a popular variety of hard-skinned squash. Choose squash that are heavy for their size. The rinds should be hard, deep-colored and free of spots. Store in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place for up to 1 month.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories 200, Total fat 6g, Saturated fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 90mg,
Carbohydrate 37g, Dietary fiber 3g, Sugars 19g, Protein 2g, Vitamin A 20%DV, Vitamin C 20%DV,
Calcium 8%DV, Iron 8%DV.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Kraft Food, Inc.