Candy Corn Chocolate Cakes
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup hot water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)
- Beat first 6 ingredients in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir together 1 cup hot water and baking soda; stir into batter. Stir in vanilla. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Freeze layers 30 minutes. Cut each layer into 8 wedges.
- Pipe frosting on top and sides of cake wedges to resemble candy corn. Using a medium star tip, pipe white frosting on the small end of each cake, yellow frosting on center, and orange on wide end.
Makes 16 servings.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (2-pound) package powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange paste food coloring
Yellow paste food coloring
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add milk, beating until spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla.
- Stir orange food coloring into 1 1/2 cups frosting. Stir yellow food coloring into 1 1/4 cups frosting.
Makes 3 1/2 cups frosting.