You can assemble these fun little cakes the day before serving. Refrigerate in a covered, deep container and remove 1 hour before serving.
- 12 oval sandwich cookies
- 1 (.68-ounce) tube red or black writing gel
- 6 black licorice twists
- 12 unfrosted cupcakes, homemade or purchased
- 1 (16-ounce) container vanilla frosting
- Green food coloring
- 12 candy pumpkins (similar to candy corn)
- For tombstones: Cut 1/3 off each cookie; pipe "RIP" (Rest in Peace) on large pieces with writing gel; set aside.
- For trees: Cut each licorice twist in half crosswise. Starting at cut end, cut 6 to 8 "branches" to about halfway down twist; set aside.
- Tint frosting to desired shade of green. Frost cupcakes. Insert tombstone in center, tree behind and a candy pumpkin in front.