Serve this festive cake at your next Halloween party! To create the cake as pictured, follow instructions below for "For a Crowd".)
Great Pumpkin Cake
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package cake mix (any flavor, but the denser the cake the better)
1 (8-ounce) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
Few drops each: green, red and yellow food colorings
1 Comet Ice Cream Cone Cup
- Prepare and bake cake mix in 12-cup fluted tube pan as directed on package. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan to wire rack; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy after each addition.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the frosting; place in small bowl. Add green food coloring; stir until well blended.
- Spread half of the green frosting onto outside of ice cream cone; set aside. Set remaining green frosting aside for later use.
- Add red and yellow food colorings to remaining white frosting to tint it orange.
- Place cake, rounded-side up, on serving plate. Spread with orange frosting to resemble pumpkin.
- Invert ice cream cone in hole in top of cake for the "pumpkin's stem."
- Pipe the reserved green frosting in vertical lines down side of cake.
Makes 24 servings.
For a more rounded Great Pumpkin Cake, use a tall 12-cup fluted tube pan. As the cake bakes, it rises and forms a rounded top. When cake is unmolded (upside-down), the bottom of the cake will be rounded. If the cake is baked in a shorter 12-cup fluted tube pan, the resulting cake will be flatter.
Place black gumdrops on sheet of wax paper sprinkled with additional sugar. Use a rolling pin to thinly flatten each gumdrop, turning frequently to coat both sides with sugar. Cut into desired shapes with a sharp knife. Use to decorate frosted cake to resemble a jack-o'-lantern.
- For a Crowd: (As pictured above)
- Double all ingredients. Prepare batter as directed; pour half of the batter into each of two fluted tube pans. Bake and cool as directed. Trim cake tops to flatten; reserve trimmings for snacking or another use. Place one cake, rounded-side down, on serving plate. Spread with thin layer of frosting. Top with remaining cake, rounded-side up, to resemble a large pumpkin. Frost and decorate as directed. Makes 48 servings.
Nutrition: (per serving)
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fiber 0g
Vitamin A 4%DV
Vitamin C 0%DV
- Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Kraft Food, Inc.