Harvest Apple Bake
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 8 large Eggs
1 cup granulated sugar, divided use
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup light cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 medium-sized cooking apples
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
- Slice bread into 1 1/2-inch slices. Place bread tightly together into a 9 x 13-inch greased glass pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, cream, and vanilla for about 30 seconds.
- Pour half of egg mixture over bread.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover and pour balance of egg mixture evenly over apples. Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over top of apples. Dot with butter.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bake uncovered in 350°F oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm with syrup and a dot
of whipped cream.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.