Harvest Pumpkin Torte
- 4 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided use
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
PUMPKIN FILLLING(recipe follows)
CHOCOLATE GLAZE (recipe follows)
Sliced almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
- Beat egg yolks in large bowl on medium speed 3 minutes; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating 2 additional minutes.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, 1/4 cup sugar, baking soda and salt; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth. Stir in vanilla; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture until well blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto clean, slightly dampened towel. Carefully peel off foil. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare PUMPKIN FILLING.
- Cut cake crosswise into four equal pieces. Place one piece on serving plate; spread about 3/4 cup filling over top. Repeat layering with remaining cake and filling, ending with cake layer. Spread CHOCOLATE GLAZE over top; garnish with almonds, if desired. Refrigerate until serving time. Refrigerate leftover torte.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons shortening
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- Combine pumpkin and flour in small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils (mixture will be very thick). Remove from heat; set aside. Cool completely.
- Beat butter and shortening in small bowl until creamy; add spices. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Slowly blend in pumpkin mixture. Refrigerate until mixture ready to use. Makes about 2 1/4 cups filling.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa and water. Cook, stiring constantly, until mixture thickens; do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating with whisk until smooth and thickened.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Hershey Company, Copyright ©1995-2005.